Sunday, August 31, 2008

HAIR today.....

Looks like I've been reliving my younger days lately...the Sting Concert at Madison Square Garden, the Woodstock Museum in Bethel, and on Friday night, the musical Hair at the Delacorte Theater in Central Park.

I lugged the Nikon D80 to Central Park, but the minute I whipped it out before the concert, an usher was right there! We all had to sit out in the rain between 8:00-8:30 p.m. while they decided if they could put on the performance. All those people in the amphitheater huddled under multi-colored umbrellas would have made a great photo, but they wouldn't let me take it even though the performance had not started. Then at the end, when hundreds of people joined the cast in an impromptu "Let The Sunshine In" dance....stopped again! Ironic that in a play about letting people "do their own thing," rules were strictly enforced. I did see a flash here and there in the audience, but I guess my zoom lens Nikon was too noticeable. Next time I'll have to bring a smaller camera as well. I certainly respect not taking photos of the cast during a performance (both distracting and illegal), but why not of the theater audience and stage before/after the show?

It was a great evening. The performers all had great voices, great bodies, and great hair! Yes, there was a brief period of nudity near the end...hey, if you've got it, flaunt it. It's even more amazing how relevant the themes are today (the war in Iraq, infringement of civil rights, ultra conservative stances against Pro Choice and for the NRA, global warming, pollution, etc., etc.).

Hair was first performed in the Public Theater in 1968, and like Woodstock...40 years ago! I wonder if two things prevent it from coming back to New York in a regular theater...today's production costs and today's Puritans.

Since I couldn't take any photos, the best I can do are some shots of pages from the show's Playbill:



Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Priceline Rental Car Coupon
Priceline Rental Car Coupon
Tweet